“Layla” by Colleen Hoover is a gripping story about love, recovery, and the lengths one would go to in order to preserve a relationship. The story unfolds from the perspective of Leeds, a man who is undeniably captivated by Layla from the moment they meet. Their chemistry is palpable, their love seemingly unshakeable, until a sudden attack leaves Layla on the brink of death.
Miraculously, Layla survives, but the woman who wakes up in the hospital is a mere shadow of the woman Leeds fell in love with. Her physical wounds heal, but the mental and emotional trauma fundamentally alters her, driving a wedge between her and Leeds. Desperate to salvage their relationship, Leeds decides to rekindle the magic where it all began – the bed-and-breakfast where they first met.
Upon their arrival, however, Layla begins to act increasingly strange, displaying erratic behavior that Leeds finds hard to comprehend. Simultaneously, he starts to notice unusual happenings at the B&B that send chills down his spine. Despite these ominous signs, Leeds remains committed to mending his relationship with Layla.
During this troubling time, Leeds crosses paths with Willow, another guest at the B&B. They bond over shared concerns and Leeds finds a semblance of peace in Willow’s company. However, as his fascination with Willow grows, he realizes that helping her could potentially jeopardize Layla’s wellbeing.
Torn between his loyalty towards Layla and his curiosity about Willow, Leeds finds himself at a crossroads. He realizes that he cannot assist both women, and he must make a choice. The stakes are high as his decision could impact all three of them deeply. If he chooses wrongly, the consequences could be catastrophic.
“Layla” is an intense, emotionally charged novel that examines the complexity of love and the difficulty of making choices when the heart is torn between two equally compelling sides. It underlines the desperate measures one might take when trying to cling onto a love that is slipping away while being drawn to a new, mysterious attraction.
Related: Check out Colleen Hoover best books!
The main characters in Colleen Hoover’s novel “Layla” include:
- Leeds: The main protagonist of the story, Leeds falls deeply in love with Layla and is determined to mend their relationship after Layla’s devastating attack changes her. He’s torn between his love for Layla and his growing curiosity towards Willow, which sets up the central conflict of the novel.
- Layla: Leeds’ girlfriend who suffers a severe physical and emotional trauma following an attack. The incident alters her significantly, causing her to behave in ways that Leeds finds strange and unsettling. Despite the changes, she remains a central figure in Leeds’ life.
- Willow: A guest at the bed-and-breakfast where Leeds and Layla stay. Leeds forms a connection with Willow due to their shared concerns, which eventually develops into a complicated fascination. Willow becomes a significant character as Leeds’ involvement with her directly impacts his relationship with Layla.
Layla Book Club Questions
Here are some book club discussion questions for “Layla” by Colleen Hoover:
- Leeds is instantly smitten with Layla when they first meet. Do you believe in love at first sight? How does this immediate connection influence their relationship?
- How did Layla’s sudden change after her attack impact Leeds? In what ways did Leeds try to cope with the changes in his relationship?
- What role does the setting of the bed-and-breakfast play in the story? How does it contribute to the eerie and unusual atmosphere?
- How does the character of Willow add to the complexity of Leeds’ emotional state? In what ways does Willow act as a foil to Layla?
- The novel delves into the supernatural. How does this aspect contribute to the narrative? Did it enhance the story or would you have preferred the story to remain purely in the realm of the psychological?
- Do you agree with Leeds’ decisions throughout the book? Are there any actions you would have done differently if you were in his place?
- The theme of choice is significant in this novel. Discuss how Leeds’ choices shaped the outcome of the story.
- This novel explores the impact of trauma on individuals and relationships. How do the characters cope with trauma, and what does this say about their personalities?
- How did the ending of the book resonate with you? Were you satisfied with the conclusion or would you have preferred a different ending?
- How does “Layla” compare to other Colleen Hoover novels you’ve read? Discuss the similarities and differences.
I hope you find this Layla summary helpful!